Video Preview: Marine Fire Prevention, Training and Response
This 8-part program is shot aboard coastal tugs, inland waterway tow boats and barges, offshore supply vessels, and ocean going tankers. This comprehensive series is designed to support the US Coast Guard Requirement 46 CFR 27 for fire protection training, drills, and safety orientation for uninspected towing vessels. This training offers supervisory and crewmen training, testing and assessment features that facilitate compliance with the International Safety Management (ISM) and STCW codes.
Modules Titles and Running Times:
- An Introduction To Fire Prevention And Response Systems (3 Minutes): Introduces the crewman to numerous maritime detection, alarm, and fire fighting systems found throughout the maritime industry.
- Fire Protection Training, Drills, And Safety Orientation For Maritime Vessels – A Guide To 46 CFR 27 For Uninspected Towing Vessels (8 minutes): This module provides an invaluable guide to the equipment required such as alarms, fire detection systems, communications, and fuel shut off valves.
- The Nature And Elements Of Fire (6 minutes): This module discusses the types of fuel on board, the oxygen atmosphere that is readily available, and the sources of heat for ignition.
- Fire Prevention Techniques – Housekeeping, Equipment Maintenance, Threat Elimination And Hotwork (9 minutes): Provides strategies for eliminating hazards starting with good housekeeping and moving on to preventative equipment maintenance and other safeguards.
- Classes Of Fire (3 minutes): Knowing the class of fire that is burning can provide the crewman with the knowledge of which type (A,B,C,D,K) of fire extinguisher to use and the manner in which to attack the fire.
- Portable Fire Extinguishers And Fixed Suppression Systems (12 minutes): Introduces crewmen to the types of fire extinguishers and agents that may be used to fight fires onboard a vessel.
- Developing Effective Fire Drills (9 minutes): Provides a practical approach to effective drills and the an evaluation process to check the effectiveness of the drill and the readiness of the crew.
- Fire Fighting Strategies, Response, And Overhaul (13 minutes): Explains the importance of a pre-fire plan, regular training and experience, and effective strategies that should be developed in the early stages of most marine fire situations.